All about the cranial nerves acronym or funny, dirty mnemonic for cranial nerves and their functions »
How to Remember Cranial Nerves?
Medical, nursing and paramedical students have to do so much of the study-related works in little time. They don’t even get enough time to review for quarterly and board exams. They are forced to memorize a whole lot of information in no time. In such hard times come medical acronyms and medical mnemonics to relieve the pain of medical students. Cranial nerves acronym or mnemonic for cranial nerves helps students to remember the 12 cranial nerves and their functions for long-term memory.
We will provide you with a short introduction to cranial nerves and their functions, along with the tricks or acronyms for cranial nerves and mnemonic for cranial nerve functions.
What are cranial nerves?
Cranial nerves are the 12 paired nerves that connect the brain to different parts of the head, neck, throat, and visceral organs. The 12 cranial nerves are named for their structure or function. Each nerve is represented by a corresponding Roman numeral from I to XII.
How many cranial nerves are there?
As we mentioned above, there are twelve cranial nerves. The majority of the cranial nerves (III – XII) emerge from the brain stem, whereas the olfactory and optic nerves arise from the cerebrum. The trochlear nerve (IV) arises from the posterior side of the midbrain. The oculomotor nerve comes from the midbrain-pontine junction. Similarly, the trigeminal nerve (V) has its origin at the Pons and the pontine-medulla junction gives rise to abducens, facial, and vestibulocochlear (VI-VIII) nerves. The medulla oblongata is the origin of the glossopharyngeal, vagus, accessory (IX) nerves. They arise from the region posterior to the olive. Likewise, the area anterior to the olive of the medulla oblongata gives rise to the hypoglossal (XII) nerve.
The 12 cranial nerves are listed below:
Cranial Nerve I or CN I: Olfactory Nerve
Cranial Nerve II or CN II: Optic Nerve
Cranial Nerve III or CN III: Oculomotor Nerve
Cranial Nerve IV or CN IV: Trochlear Nerve
Cranial Nerve V or CN V: Trigeminal Nerve
Cranial Nerve VI or CN VI: Abducens Nerve
Cranial Nerve VII or CN VII: Facial Nerve
Cranial Nerve VIII or CN VIII: Vestibulocochlear Nerve
Cranial Nerve IX or CN IX: Glossopharyngeal Nerve
Cranial Nerve X or CN X: Vagus Nerve
Cranial Nerve XI or CN XI: Accessory Nerve
Cranial Nerve XII or CN XII: Hypoglossal Nerve
12 Cranial Nerves Mnemonic or Acronym for Cranial Nerves
DIRTY Mnemonics for Cranial Nerves
There are some sexiest, scandalous, and dirty mnemonics for cranial nerves that help the medical and nursing students to both remember important and difficult words and facts and cope with challenging times of exam preparation.
Some of the dirty mnemonics for cranial nerves are listed below.
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel Vagina God Vaginas Are Hot
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel Various Guys’ Veins And Hotdogs
- On Occasion, Oliver Tries To Anally Finger Various Girls. Vaginas Are History!
- On Occasion, Oliver Tries To Anally Finger Various Guys. Vaginas Are History!
- On Occasion, Olsen Twins Try Anal Fucking And Great Vaginal Sex Hammering
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch A Former Virgin Girl’s Vagina And Hymen
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel Virgin Girl’s Vagina And Hymen
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel Virgin Girl’s Vaginas Ahh! Heaven
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Girl’s Vulva And Hymen
- Oh, Oh, Oh, Tits Tits Ass, Face, Vagina, Go Vagina, Ahh Hell Yes
- Oh, Oh, Oh, Tiny Tits And Furry Vaginas Give Victor A Hardon
- On Occasion Oliver Tries To Anally Fuck Various Guys. Vaginas Are History
- Oh, Oh, Oh, Tits, Tits, Ass, F A G, Vagina, Slut, Hoe
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Ginger Virgin’s Aching Hymen
- Olive’s, Oily, Ostrich, Tried To Abstain From Vaginal Gouging Via Anal Hammering
The first letters of the above words represent the following 12 cranial nerves.
- O: olfactory nerve (CN I)
- O: optic nerve (CN II)
- O: oculomotor nerve (CN III)
- T: trochlear nerve (CN IV)
- T: trigeminal nerve(CN V)
- A: abducens nerve (CN VI)
- F: facial nerve (CN VII)
- A: auditory (or vestibulocochlear) nerve (CN VIII)
- G: glossopharyngeal nerve (CN IX)
- V: vagus nerve (CN X)
- S: spinal accessory nerve (CN XI)
- H: hypoglossal nerve (CN XII)
There is another mnemonic that gives the second letter of each cranial nerve. It can be utilized after writing the first letter of each cranial nerve with any of the above mnemonics.
- large pricks can really ream butts and extra large asses, called yards!”
Utilizing this mnemonic in addition to any of the above will result in:
Ol, Op, Oc, Tr, Tr, Ab, Fa, Ve, Gl, Va, Ac, Hy
Easy, Clean, and Funny Cranial Nerves Acronym
There are some easy and funny cranial nerves acronym/mnemonic made by using the first letters of the nerves. These funny mnemonics are listed below.
- On Occasion Our Trusty Truck Acts Funny, Very Good Vehicle Any How
- Once One Openly Told Tourists About Fighting Vampires Gobling Various Antelope Herds
- On Old Olympus’ Towering Top, A Friendly Viking Grew Vines And Hops
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Take A Family Vacation! Go Vegas After Hours
- Odor Of Orangutan Terrified Tarzan After Forty Voracious Gorillas Viciously Attacked Him
- On Old Olympus’ Towering Top, A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops
- Old Open Oceans Trouble Tribesmen About Far Ventures, Global Vacations, Accusing Hydrophobia
- Orange Oregon O-lineman Tried Track And Field, Victory Gave Virginia School Honor
- Only Owls Observe Them Traveling And Finding Voldemort Guarding Very Ambiguous Horcruxes
- Old Opie Occasionally Tries Trigonometry And Feels Very Gloomy, Vague And Hypoactive
- Old Oprah Occasionally Trots Triumphantly About, Farting Velveeta Globs, Vaunting Accolades Hysterically
- Old Oprah Occasionally Trots Triumphantly About, Farting Velveeta Globs, Valiantly Spreading Hysteria
- Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel Vintage Green Velvet, Simply Heaven
- Old Officers Often Trust The Army For A Glory Vague And Hypothetical
- Old Oppressive Oceanic Trout Trick Aquatic Fauna Very Greedily; Valiant Sharks Hunt (them).
- Oh Once One Takes The Anatomy Final, Very Good Vacations Are Heavenly.
- Old, Oliver, Ogg, Traveled, To, Africa, For, Very, Good, Vacations, And, Holidays
- Once On October Thirteenth, Troublesome Abductors Filched Various Golden Valuables And Heirlooms
- Oprah Ought Order Tasty Treats And Finally Value Growing Voluptuous And Happy
- One Of Our Trained Teachers Asked For A Good Vada And Halwa
- One Old Ogre Took The Appletini From Very Gigantic Vampires At Happy(hour)
- On Old Olympus’ Towering Top, A Finely Vested German Viewed A Hawk
- Oxen Outside Opperate Tractors To And Fro Victory, Grand Victory, Always Heroes
- On Ocassion Of Tea Three Adult Friends Ate Goose Vanillae And Hen
- Odysseus On Oceans Taking Trips And Finding Vast Glory Venturing After Home
Cranial Nerves Mnemonic Harry Potter
As a Harry Potter fanatic is so popular among people of all ages and places, the Harry potter mnemonic for cranial nerves is so famous in the world of medical and nursing students. To remember all the 12 cranial nerves from CN I to XII, use the following cranial nerves mnemonic Harry Potter.
Oh, Oh, Oh, They Traveled And Found Voldermort Guarding Very Secret (Ancient) Horcruxes
Use the following Harry Potter Mnemonic to remember the functional type of cranial nerves (Sensory, Motor, or Both).
Sererus Scape Meets Malfoy, But Mad Bellatrix Stays Behind Bushes Misusing Magic
The functions of the cranial nerves are either sensory, motor, or both. Muscle movements in the head and neck are controlled by the motor nerves, whereas the sensory cranial nerves help to smell, see, and hear.
The functions of all cranial nerves are given below.
- Olfactory Nerve – Smell
- Optic Nerve – Vision
- Oculomotor Nerve – Eye movement and pupil reflex
- Trochlear Nerve – Eye movement
- Trigeminal Nerve – Face sensation and chewing
- Abducens Nerve – Eye movement
- Facial Nerve – Face movement and taste
- Vestibulocochlear Nerve – Hearing and balance
- Glossopharyngeal Nerve – Throat sensation, taste, and shallowing
- Vagus Nerve – Movement, sensation, and abdominal organs
- Accessory Nerve – Neck movement
- Hypoglossal Nerve – Movement, sensation, and abdominal organs
Cranial Nerve Function Mnemonic or Acronym for Cranial Nerve Function
Cranial nerves sensory or motor mnemonics rely upon the letters S, M, and B for sensory, motor, or both. The mnemonics to remember the types of cranial nerves are:
S = Sensory
M = Motor
B = Both (sensory + motor)
The common mnemonic for the functions of the 1st through 12th nerves:
Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Business Makes Money.
Modified versions of the above popular acronym for cranial nerves are:
- Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Brains Matter Most,
- Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Breasts Matter Most.
- Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Bad Business Marrying Money
- Silly Superman Made Mortal Brothers Make Bets Since Both Boys Made Money
- Some Say Money Matters, But My Beloved Says Being Beloved Matters More
- Skinny Sluts Make Money But My Brother Says Big Bitches Make More
To include the three Trigeminal branches:
Some Say, Money Matters, Some Say Brains, My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter Most.
Nerves at the Foramina
Use the following acronyms for cranial nerves to remember the skull foramina (plural of foramen) from which exit the 12 cranial nerves.
- Cleaners Only Spray Smelly Stuff Right On Smelly Idiots In J. Jonah Jameson High
- Carl Only Swims SSilly Roger Only Swims In (Stylish) Infiniti Jacuzzis. Jane Just Hitchhikes.
- Carlos Only Swims South SRoger Only Swims In Sweeden. Igor Jogs. Jane Just Hikes.
- ClimbOn Sea Snails So ROSI Is Jolly Jolly Jolly Happy
- Can Obama Spray Super Soakers Right On Senators? Is It Juvenile? Just Joking, H
- Carlos Only Smokes Spliff Since Rastaman Offered Skunk In Indigenous JJamaican Joint Heaven.
- Come Over Soon Soon Soon Ride On Some Intense Internal vaJJJHa!
- Crying Over Super Sexy Swimwear Really Only Supports Style In Junior Justice Jail H
All the above bold letters at the beginning of every word represent the following.
- Cribriform plate (Olfactory),
- Optic canal (Optic),
- Superior Orbital Fissure (Oculomotor),
- Superior Orbital Fissure (Trochlear),
- Superior Orbital Fissure (Trigeminal – Ophthalmic),
- Foramen Rotundum (Trigeminal – Maxillary),
- Foramen Ovale (Trigeminal – Mandibular),
- Superior Orbital Fissure (Abducens),
- Internal Acoustic Meatus (Facial) Or Stylomastoid Foramen (Facial),
- Internal Acoustic Meatus (Vestibulocochlear),
- Jugular Foramen (Glossopharyngeal),
- Jugular Foramen (Vagus),
- Jugular Foramen (Accessory),
- Hypoglossal Canal (Hypoglossal)
Acronym for Cranial Nerves Function
- The human has one nose, so the olfactory nerve is CN I – it controls the sense of smell and innervates the nose.
- The human has two eyes, so the optic nerve is CN II – to produce vision.
- The human has six abs, so the abducens nerve is CN VI – abducts the eye.
Mnemonic/Acronym for the name of the 5 branches of the Facial Nerve (CN VII)
- Two Zombies Bit Miley Cyrus
- To Zanzibar By Motor Car
- Tell Ziggy Bob Marley Called
- Temperamental Zebras Brutalize My Cervix
- Ten Zebras Buggered My Cat
- Two Zebras Bit My Cousin
These five branches of the facial nerve are
- Temporal branch,
- Mandibular and
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE Beck’s Triad in Cardiology: Mnemonic, Treatment & More
Popular Health Categories You Might be Searching For
- Health & Fitness
- Eye Health
- Eye Health PPT
- Eye Makeup Tips
- Mental Health
- Top Hospitals
- Top Journals
Health Kura is a health website created for free health tips, updates, medical notes, and health news. The website does not provide medical advice of any kind. The contents are only for educational purposes. If you have any complaints, suggestions, or useful information about the content on this page or elsewhere on Health Kura, please feel free to contact us.
Everybody can be a part of Health Kura. We have a big community where people share their knowledge, views, and expert opinions. You can Submit Guest Post if you think your health content can contribute to bringing positive changes in the healthy lifestyle of our readers.
Health Kura regularly publishes health content. If you want to receive health tips, updates, news, offers, and bonuses, please Subscribe to our Newsletter.